Thursday, October 2, 2008

The beginning of a journey.....


Hello from Europe. I had good intentions of beginning this blog while still in the States, but life had a different plan. Oh, well, I guess starting six days into the journey is better than not starting at all. Anyway, one of my hopes for this trip was not to have any expectations, timelines or structure, so I guess I am starting off on the right foot.

Most of you who know me well, know that I usually do not have a difficult time expressing my thoughts, values, and opinions in verbal conversations. However, I am much more reserved when it comes to writing these things down, so I am stepping out on a limb here. I hope that you will bear with me as I navigate this month of new time and space, as well as the development of my first blog (thanks to Amanda, Sara P. and Mike for being fearless and writing their own blogs and being encouragers to me as I try this new venue.)

At this point, I am not sure what I want this blog to be. Since I am indecisive and do not want to limit myself, I think I will go with whatever comes up as I am writing. I arrived in London after a nice flight from Raleigh-Durham on Saturday morning. Two blessings occurred on the flight: 1) I luckily secured two seats to myself so I could stretch out during the flight and 2) I saw an amazing sunrise. The deep orange light of morning cutting across the horizon of inky darkness, clipped by a slice of pale moonlight was a beautiful sight...Flying definitely allows us to see God’s creation with new eyes.

I was thankful that I had time to spare until my flight to Geneva because it took almost 30 minutes to get from the drop-off gate to my departure terminal. I had no idea Heathrow Airport is so challenging to navigate! My flight to Geneva was delayed thanks to a thick fog that enveloped the London area, but I was fortunate that British Airways did not cancel my flight, which they did to the poor travelers on 10 flights scheduled to depart after mine. Flying into Geneva is definitely an experience. Switzerland is as beautiful as they say and looks like a story-book land with rolling hills, quaint towns that remind me of gingerbread villages, and mountains that inspire prayers of praise.

Dave and Sue Imbrock, my hosts for my stay in Europe, were waiting expectantly for me outside of the customs area (see a profile on the Imbrocks at www.upc-orlando.com/missions/imbrock/). Going through Swiss customs was the easiest customs process I have ever experienced. In fact, there was no one there at all to ask me if I had anything to declare. I guess the Swiss are more relaxed about life than some of us. I met Dave and Sue at The Inn, a ministry in Franklin, NC in the Fall of 2007. One of the first conversations I had with the Imbrocks at the Inn was about the spiritual climate of Europe. I had no idea at the time that I would be in Europe one year later checking out the spiritual climate for myself!


The Imbrocks actually live in France (in the tiny village of Versonnex), even though the French-Swiss border is only about a 5 minute drive and Geneva is only 10-15 minutes away. They have been missionaries for 30+ years, serving many years in Africa before moving to Switzerland with Campus Crusade for Christ. They are involved in some interesting ministry activities, which I will go into further detail about later.

I am not sure why I received the gift of this trip. Time away to deepen my relationship with God...the privilege to witness first-hand the ministries of people I greatly respect...a chance to travel to a beautiful part of the world....I don't know why I received these things. However, I do know that I am truly grateful.

No comments: