Friday, October 10, 2008

Ireland-céad míle fáilte


It is said that Ireland, once visited, is never forgotten. I would whole-heartedly agree with this statement and know that I definitely will never forget my time in Ireland. How can you forget a land with numerous shades of green, a rich history and culture, beautiful rainbows, and a pub at almost every corner?

Sara, my former supervisor at Triumph and now friend, moved to Ireland last August with her family when her husband, Ken, accepted a 3-year assignment with his employer. Upon her departure, she extended the invitation to visit and I was not sure she was serious, but I took her up on it and arrived on her doorstep in Ireland with a desire to explore everything Irish. I have been intrigued by Ireland for awhile--I do not know if this is due to the interesting people (I must say I love their accents), mystery of the island, or my recent infatuation with the movie "PS: I Love You" and Jonthan Rhys Myers? But when Dave and Sue told me they would be in Germany for a week to attend a work conference, I knew I had to go to Ireland.

According to Sara, I must have had the luck of the Irish with me when I arrived at the Shannon Airport this past Sunday. Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day and it seems that there are not many of these days available, especially this year, which has been unusually rainy and cold. I took advantage of the sunlight and soaked up the beautiful colors of the Irish countryside (even the cows are more picturesque here) as Sara took me on scenic drive between Shannon and Croagh (her tiny village). Arriving at her house, I was excited to discover that the Kennedys live on a gravel road out in the middle of nowhere. There are green pastures all around their house with curious cows who are not afraid to come close to check you out. Very Peaceful. Actually, my first night in Ireland, I slept more soundly than I have in months. I guess there is something special about the slow-pace of country living...especially in the magical countryside of Ireland.

For those of you who know Sara, I am happy to report that she is more relaxed than I have ever seen her and she is an excellent cook! Not that she ordered take-out every night before her move to Ireland, but I believe she has stepped it up a notch! Her meals were wonderful and I was delighted to hear that she has even been making bread and fruit preserves from scratch---the wonders of having time to breathe instead of checking authorizations on Providerlink. Go figure.

I was excited to see the other members of Sara's family again. Hannah is now 8-years-old and impressed me with her grasp of the Irish language and culture. Katie, who was almost one when I last saw her, is now a little person with beautiful blue eyes and a captivating personality. Ken is enjoying his work in Ireland, but admits that he is going to miss watching Tarheel basketball this fall. Sara's mother, Dot, was also in Ireland for a 3-week visit during my stay and it was such a pleasure to get to know her. She worked for the NC Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill for many years and shared a wealth of knowledge regarding Irish trees and flowers on our tours around the Irish countryside.

When I arrived in Ireland, I thought I might see a Leprechaun, but have not found one yet...I'll keep looking.

No comments: